Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Finding your way with the band
Thanks to everyone for their supportive comments this week. I really feel like I'm heading back into the losing zone. Ultimately it really is all about choices. It had become too easy for me to justify eating too many sweets and snacks because I wasn't gaining.Tracking my food has giving me the ability to say no again. Today I said no to doughnuts in the morning, a work birthday party with cakes, cookies and ice cream and a box of fundraiser candy bars that sat on my desk all day.
I have always been very honest about my journey so far. Even when I was losing the bulk of my weight in 2009/2010 I ate all foods. I didn't limit carbs (except what I couldn't eat), ate some sliders and had treats. I knew that by not denying myself I could hopefully find balance and lose the weight.
There is no such thing as a perfect bandster because we all need to follow different paths. Some people need to stick to a really limited diet because that's what works for them, but it doesn't for me. What I would say to anyone who just had surgery or is thinking about it to think about why you are overweight and what has failed you in diets before. Try to be really honest and decide what your strategy will be with the band.
Be honest about what works and doesn't, whether you are newly banded just starting out or someone who has hit a plateau. One of the reasons blogging and being involved in the community has helped me in my success is that I've seen first hand that we all lose differently and struggle at times. It's allowed me glimpses into the lives of other bandsters and I see that they are not perfect and it makes me feel OK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Great post. I think when I finally realized I couldn't be perfect was a mind blowing revelation. We have the will and now together we will find the way for us.
I second Sandy Lee-finally overcoming the perfect or off the wagon cycle was mind-blowing for me. Additionally the realization of the fact that every-one is different in their needs and path...was an epiphany.
I could see it fine in many parts of my life but dieting..it took forever to come to the realizations.
xxxooo
I've never seen it as being perfect...I've always thought of it as being fucked up just under the line enough so you can lose weight! I crossed the fuck-up line somewhere along the way...all I'm doing is trying to cross back. I'm finding though, that it's a little like trying to un-sleep with someone. Lol!
Great Post! It is after all or should be a lifestyle that we live.
And you are so right, we all are different and what works for one, doesn't for someone else.
That is why the band is not an exact science. You have to find your own balance and what works for you and your own band.
Hugs so glad you are losing again!
Amen!
We all struggle, don't care what anyone says. For the people who try to make it look easy: you're doing it wrong!
It's a daily struggle for all of us and I'm glad we have such a great support network to keep us grounded, bitch slap us when we need it and to help us celebrate in our successes. Having our blog world and now our real time freindships makes it easier, though, because we know others who are going through the same issues and when we are down, there is always someone who picks us up and helps us back onto the path. You're one of those women to me and I just adore you for it. Congrats on the downward turn!
Amen Sister!
Absolutely!! Yes, diet and exercise will work for everyone but there are all kinds of different combos of the two.
How'd I miss this? Honesty.....hmm...I'll try anything once, for you anyway.
Post a Comment