I don't normally watch Dr. Oz (although I have some of his books and like a lot of what he has to say), but I saw a commercial where he was going to be discussing lap-band after the FDA approved for lower BMI's so I decided to DVR it. He devoted about 25 minutes of the show to the topic and it was pretty balanced (Dr. Oz himself often says WLS is a viable option for the morbidly obese). In the beginning of the show he had on 3 Dr.'s (2 pro LB for lower BMI's, 1 opposed). They discussed risks vs. benefits, Dr. Oz also gave a basic primer on how the band works and how the operation is done. They focused a lot on how it's much less invasive than other WLS.
The biggest issue I had with the show was the segment when they had 2 lap band patients on to discuss their life since lap band. One woman was 6 months out (lost 50 pounds), the other was 6 years out and had lost over 100 pounds. They were realistic about how it's not a magic bullet and the woman who was 6 years out admitted that she still had to work to keep the weight off and often gains back 15-20 pounds and then loses it again. They did discuss if you ate too much it was "uncomfortable" (um - yea) or you might throw it back up. The crazy part was when they showed what they eat every day. The woman who was six months out (I am not exaggerating) showed her daily as 5 teaspoons of yogurt for breakfast, a bowl of broth for lunch(she said if it was chunky soup she ate less of it!) and 5 teaspoons of pudding for dinner!! WTF? I ate more than that the day after surgery. The woman who was 6 years out had some solid food at least, but like 5 pieces of penne pasta - it was very extreme. These woman were in no way getting the protein they needed - unless they were blatantly lying about what they ate everyday. Why would someone 6 months out still be eating mushies/liquids everyday?
The part that upset me the most was during the show they had on two woman who were thinking of getting the surgery. After the two bandsters showed what they ate Dr. Oz asked the women if they thought they could handle that diet. The one said well I've tried all sort of diets - liquids only, low carb so this would be different (to paraphrase). I would do it if it helped me get off the weight. I wanted to scream because my whole thing about the band is that it's not a diet and I don't feel deprived ( I know many of you feel the same way) and that's why it works for me. So to tell these woman (and America) that it's basically a liquid/mushie diet forever is a disservice to what the band can do for you.
In all the show was OK in that it showed LB in a positive light and Dr. Oz is realistic that WLS is the final option for some people. Although I have to say if this was on 3 years ago and I saw that I could never eat normally again, I'm not sure if I would have wanted to do it.
Did any of you see the show?? Am I being over critical?
FYI- you can go to Dr. Oz.com and see the clip. It's life after lap band.


22 comments:
I didn't see it but 4 people who knew I have the band called me to tell me it was on. I can't not see that those women only eat that. I can't see why they would lie about it but I bet they are. 6 years out and your are eating 5 noodles. Well seems to me they are not using the tool properly.
Yep, I DVR'd it and watched it last night. OMG, I was speechless when the 6 mo post op lady showed what she ate...total misrepresentation of what most bandsters are eating.
I DVR'd it as well- the 6 month lady p*ssed me off so much! Dr. Oz says "so this is what you really eat and you are satisfied"? and she jusr smiles and says "yes". LIAR! Other then that I thought it was a good informational show on the band.
I didn't see it, I'm going to try to find it on HULU today though.
I didn't see it either, but will see if I can find it. I love Dr. Oz by the way. I don't believe that that's all that woman eats. She has to have massive headaches and be mega tired.
I'm sorry I missed it. It sounds like they really didn't demonstrate how the majority of bandsters eat (so little protein!)
UGH! Seriously? 5 teaspoons of yogurt would never even keep me satisfied as a snack. Why do people have to misrepresent the lifestyle just to make themselves "look" better? I mean, that's the only reason I can think of that they'd lie about their eating habits. =/
Not over-critical AT ALL. This was my comment about it last night: I thought it was very interesting, positive, and was pleased that they didn't have much negative to say. HOWEVER, that tiny bit of mushy food was not at all realistic. I had a salad for lunch with chicken and black beans on it. I ate 2 slices of pizza for dinner tonight. The best choice? Nope, and I'm starting Atkins tomorrow night. But I am certainly not living on 5 spoonfuls of yogurt."
Great Post Linda. Yes, why do they have to LIE about what they are eating? I just ate a yogurt as a snack. Where was her Protein? Why was she eating PUDDING for dinner? WTF?!!!
I missed it---but love the info I got from you ladies!!
I DVRed it too! I watched it.. and my mouth fell to the floor. I don't understand how she is getting enough nutrition on a daily to be eating the 5 spoonfuls at each meal. I eat more than the girl 6 yrs out! And I have even lost more than the girl who is 6 months out! Which if she was eating that every day she should have lost much more than 50lbs. I was a bit on edge too when I watched the show!
that is just plain crazy. I have to say I don't really like OZ because he does tend to sensationalize even the most mundane things. He also dabbles a bit too far in unsupported medical advice.
I think having those two women discuss what they ate was truly either sensationalizing things or lying. Has anyone thought to get a message to him?
xxxooo
I didn't see this. Thanks for posting, Linda...very interesting, and I agree with all you said.
I watched it last night and I called total bullshit on the lady 6 months out who said that was all she ate and felt full. Maybe, but you have NO protien there and eating like that all the time, she would have lostweight like a bypass patient (more than 50 lbs) she would be malnourished, her hair falling out and lethargic. Even the other lady 6 years out was over exaggerating how little she ate in my opinion. You are NOT being overly critical.
That's crazy! I can only assume they were not being honest because I don't know of any surgeons that recommend that kind of diet. Plus how could the 6 year lady gain 15 lbs. eating like that? No way!
I eat way more than that, no question!
I didn't see it, but I know in his books he includes info on WLS and medications for losing weight - which is way more balanced than most diet gurus.
That sounds crazy, that 6 months out lady. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks for posting about this. I didn't see it but I often have friends ask me questions after they see Band related material on TV. It's good to be prepared.
I avoided the show because I didn't want to have to deal with the reactions from others who saw it and would want to ask me questions about it. I'm glad it was balanced but there's no way they're only living off that amount of food. Seriously, no protein and pudding for dinner? This was the best they could do. They should have called you, Amy or Catherine for a look at how real bandsters do it.
I'm sorry I missed it...sounds like a crock of shit if you ask me.
I'm sorry I missed it-- but will definitely check it out!
Didn't see the show. It's good that there were positive things said, but definitely crazy what the women are eating.
I do feel exactly the same way- the band is NOT a diet. That was the reason I was interested in it, so I don't know what kind of an impact this kind of information would have had on my decision. And I agree there is something wrong with their bands (or follow up adjustments) if they are eating so poorly. But, I do think it's awesome that this option is being advocated- and now for a lower BMI- I hope this trend continues because I know what a terrific choice getting the band was for me personally. Thanks for sharing your passion on this subject.
Post a Comment