Did you ever really think you would look like you do now (good or bad)? Of course at my heaviest I never thought I looked the way I really did. Now even though I think I've looked "normal" for the past six months I don't think I ever thought I would be here. I started thinking about this because I was considering ebaying a couple really expensive plus size coats I have. One is reversible and I must have cut the tag out to wear the printed side (it's a rain jacket that's black on one side/plaid on the other). In my head I said to myself "why would I do that when I knew I wouldn't keep it forever?". Ah ha! That was new me thinking, the me that knows I'm losing weight and will be out of sizes soon. The coat was from the old me era – I may have talked about losing weight then, but in my heart I had no hope that I could (in fact I grew out of that coat at one point).
Do you remember feeling hopeless about your weight? Where you really truly couldn't even imagine yourself not being fat? I do, but not so much anymore. It's good to remember what it felt like sometimes, it's good to remember so I don't go back. Also, when it's easy to get down about losing the same 2-3 pounds over and over, it's good to really step back and think of what you've accomplished. I may have not been happy to see my old friend 173 on the scale this morning, but how does that compare to the years that I didn't own a scale out of fear? I am proud I took the huge step to get out of my hopeless situation and that I put myself first for awhile. We should all be proud of the steps we've taken (or are thinking about taking) that changed our lives.


11 comments:
Amen Sister! I remember that feeling too, I just no longer had it in me to diet one more time just to gain it back! It is good to remember!
Me too. Great post!
So true!
Great post. And so real. We have come so far together and will continue to move forward.
Glad you seem to be feeling better. You know the struggles I've had and I'm still not anywhere near the point of not feeling fat, but I do feel better than I did last year. One step at a time...
Great post...Feeling hopeless is so unnerving...feeling hope is empowering...
I am proud of you too....
It really does take a long time for our heads to catch up. Half the time I feel like the skinniest girl in skinnytown, and the other half I feel the same as I always did...and then I'll catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window or something and go "woah...I totally can't believe that's me!" I think part of our brains will always be fat girls, no matter how thin we are for the rest of our lives...and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, actually :)
Love this. And OMG how much time did I spend feeling hopeless. I may not be happy with my "old friend" on the scales these days, but compared to the past -- I am ecstatic!
Fantastic post! I think all too often we don't take stock of the progress we've made.
Oh! I remember! Now, it's about perspective and trying to recognize our new normal. Easier said than done, but each day the better you genuinely becomes the majority of who you are, until the old you is a distant memory.
Post a Comment