The Last 25

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Big Sexy

So I took a little "me time" off from work yesterday. I had a full blown chill and watch bad TV day. During my mini marathon of "Say Yes to the Dress" I saw this commercial for a new show called "Big Sexy". From what I can tell it's a show about plus size models/professionals in NYC. They of course say things like "once you go big you never go twig" and "we are big and beautiful". I never quite know how to react to these shows. Should I be glad that these women are so comfortable in their bodies(so they say) and are getting attention? Or mad that they are being exploited? I mean instead of having a show of just fat chicks out on the prowl, wouldn't it be more evolved to just have a mixture of different size women? Why does everything have to be so EXTREME? Plus, how many months will it be before one of these women is on the cover of People magazine in Jared pants showing us her amazing weight loss? I don't know - I really don't want to say that no one can be really happy with themselves being overweight and we all know that losing weight doesn't cure our problems, but when people talk so much about how they love themselves the way they are it just smacks of overcompensation.

Anywhoozle- just my two cents.

I know I've posted this before but this is a link for an online designer shopping site that I've gotten good stuff from. Right now if you sign up you get a $10 credit. Check it out if you are so inclined:http://www.ruelala.com/invite/lharris027

11 comments:

Cece said...

I don't know about the show but I am sick of anything remotely close to reality tv. Please, someone, bring back a Seinfeld, Friends or Frasier type show ... I have my own reality ~ not really interested in 'yours' :) Everything seems SO extreme ... it's extremely overdone !

Amanda Kiska said...

Of course most plus size models are a size 12 or 14 - not exactly plus size in my book!

I'm glad you had an opportunity to relax for the day! That sounds fun!

Kristin said...

I agree I so hate reality TV! It is getting ridiculous what people are willing to do for money or that people call entertainment!

MandaPanda said...

And you just know all these overweight people on the show are also going to have serious personality disorders too...just to make the show interesting.

~Lisa~ said...

I'm glad you took a "me-day" we all need one every now and then!!

Reality shows?? Ohhhh they're getting more and more painful for these old retenas to watch, thank heavens!

Dizzy Girl said...

I am with you Linda! I know the world is changing, and I know that we are learning "acceptance" of all types of people, but the manner in which we're learning it? Really? Wasn't it Dr. Drew that said something about "it's the narcissistic personality types that seek out reality tv shows (to be on them)". Made perfect sense to me. Just seems weird to me; And I completely agree- when people keep going on and on about how much they love themselves- it totally comes off as fake. OVER COMPENSATION to the max! We all have insecurities...and while it's annoying when someone constantly airs their insecurities, it's also annoying when they pretend they don't have any either.

xo-

D

Rhonda said...

Ugh. It's just like, "More To Love" that show a few years ago about plus-sized love. (And of course the guy chose the smallest woman!) I felt exploited as a fellow fat woman!

If they're really happy with themselves, I say great... but I have a sneaking suspicion they're not all on the same page with that - model or no. :(

Joey said...

Did they show the women? How big were they really? In my experience, plus size models are like a size 10!

Dinnerland said...

Oy-- I love me some "Say yes to the dress!"

CC said...

me days ROCK!!
my problem with plus size models is that they really aren't "plus sized"! like joey said most are size 10, and those are the "big" ones! ok some in LB are like a 12 but really...

secondly, i am all for being big and beautiful..but some chicks push it....FAR...just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should be wearing it! confidence is great, but some people need to invest in a mirror!!

Amy said...

I'm glad you blogged about this show because I saw a commercial for it the other day. I, too, was disturbed. I'm no longer one of those gals that says she's "happy no matter the size." Nope. Never. I said that plenty of times, but deep down, it has always bothered me. Now I'm changin' it!