The Last 25

Friday, November 27, 2009

My Fun Upper GI

I got up early today to go get my upper GI. I did well at Thanksgiving - food wise. I had a few glasses of champagne, which I hadn't done since surgery - let me just say I was drunk for awhile. So when the alarm went off this morning all I wanted to do was drink a gallon of water and go back to sleep. Instead I got up and went to Advanced Radiology. When I got in there the assistant told me what would happen - I would drink some fizzy stuff then the barium. The radiologist came in and asked a few questions about the band, if it had slipped before or anything. He seemed nervous, which made me a little nervous, but I think he just was trying to figure out why I was there beyond reflux. He told the assistant to give me something instead barium and it meant I didn't drink the fizzy stuff either, but when she brought it over she whispered "you only have to drink this but it tastes worse" - oh yea!!!
I stood against the x-ray machine and they told me to take a big gulp of the stuff. I did and it took all my self control not to throw up - I mean it compared to the time I was 3 months pregnant and had to run out of a grocery store after I walked through the seafood department. I had to take 2 more sips and I took the smallest ones possible. After that, they said it went down fine and laid me down on the table to see if the liquid would come back up. Nothing did, but the radiologist said it was hard to catch it sometimes. He said the band and pouch looked fine(so relieved) and I watched the video of the liquid going through.

So after all this I have to wonder if this is it for me restriction wise. I certainly not as tight as some people and I don't stay full for 4-5 hours, but I might not. The band works differently for everyone so if this it I'll deal with it. I have come to a realization that I'm eating too much and I think instead of PB'ing like most normal bandsters, my stomach takes it but the food pushes back in my throat. So I have to start really watching my portions and eating solid proteins.I think I'm going to do the 5 day pouch test that Brooke is starting to see if it will help me with portion control. Plus I think a few days of liquids may give my pouch a rest.

Now all this is just my theory, I have an appointment with my NP on Thursday and she'll look at the films from my GI and we'll see if she recommends an unfill.

After my upper GI was done I went to Target - I do not know why because I was not doing Black Friday shopping but I bought a new camera and some other stuff we didn't need. I also went to Old Navy to get a pair of jeans because they were $15.00 - I got 16's because my 18's are getting loose, but the 16's are too tight to wear out of the house(or in the house). I couldn't pass them up at half price though. I am such a sucker.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!!

5 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm glad that they didn't see anything wrong with your band or pouch, that is good news. Also, it's good that you're viewing all this positively, you're right that the band isn't the same for everyone and while it's not ideal to not have full restriction, it's do-able. You've done so well so far I'm sure that no matter what you'll be successful.

Amy W. said...

haha, I hear you about the size 18's being too big and the 16's being too small. I am right there with you. But at least we are waffling between 18 and 20! That is so interesting about the upper GI. I havent ever done a barium swallow, and I dont want to taste the nasty stuff...but it would be cool!

THE DASH! said...

Great news that all is okay with the band - I was a little concerned for you, and this is the best possible outcome.
Great news you've hit the between mark of the 18 and 16 - and while you said you can't wear the jeans out of the house now, give it a bit and you sure will - and it will be an exciting moment!

Gen said...

So happy to hear no problems with the band! And that is awesome that you are 16 jeans-bound! You really have done well. The band is working, even if it feels super slow. There are some benefits to not being overly restricted, too.

Thanks for your ideas about the PF - I am looking into those Ecco shoes!

Brooke said...

I find old navy's jeans are cut weird. They really bunch around my knees and hang at the crotch. I was an 18 in thier jeans and I'm a 16 at the Gap, plus the fit is way, way better at the Gap.

Just for fun, try the Gap. I am 5'6' and I didn't fit them until I was 223 lbs. But when they fit, they fit, unlike ON.