The Last 25

Monday, November 30, 2009

One Cup Only

Last week I toyed with the idea of doing the 5 day pouch test, but as I was looking at protein drinks over the weekend I had qualms about it – if anything I'm overfilled right now, so I'm not sure if I want to promote more restriction. What I want to do is focus on controlling my portion size, which I think is the real cause of my reflux issue.

 

So today I decided to start my own 3 day (that's how many days until my fill/unfill appointment) one cup only test. I got out my handy dandy one cup containers and I will only eat from these for meals. If I'm hungry in between, I'll have a small snack.


This morning I packed my breakfast, lunch and snacks (if needed). So far today I've done well and have been surprised by my restriction. I think I've been focusing so much on the reflux since my last fill, I never made the changes in portion size I needed to make. I know it sounds weird, like it would be natural to know I had restriction, but I just always assumed that I would have PB episodes and feel the urge to have to STOP. Nope, not me to this point I've never had a real PB (stuck feeling, yes, PB or vomiting, no). So now my job is to identify when I need to stop eating.

 

Here's what I've had so far today:

 

8:30AM: ½ cup of scrambled eggs (I only ate half of my container)

 

Water & Coffee

 

11:30AM – ½ a Zone bar

 

Water

 

1:30PM: working on my lunch of chicken & mashed potatoes and gravy (not sure how far I'll get)

 

So, I'm going to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full – that's it. Right now I'm not going to worry about how long I stay full, I just want to identify fullness.

 

I don't know if I'll get any fill taken out at my appointment Thursday – part of me now just wants to wait it out with this fill. It's been a month since I got it and I've lost maybe 6-7 pounds in that time, so it should loosen up on it's own. I guess I'll see how strongly my NP feels about it.

 

Off the subject, I don't think I like my Christmas layout. What do you think?? It's a little busy for my taste, but the template I really liked wouldn't work. It took me forever fighting with Blogger so I'll leave it for now.

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey Linda- sounds like a great idea.

And just so you know, I totally get the place you're in now. As I've said, I have 7cc's but feel no restriction. I had two "angry" eating incidents because I was basically having a temper tantrum about not having restriction and being worried I stretched the pouch (the irony of reacting that way to a lack of restriction/worry of a stretched pouch is NOT lost on me!).

But I can totally get the idea of not thinking to scale down the portion sizes until just now.

There is a lot to remember and so many subtleties it's easy to find a groove and stick with it, even if it's not working in present circumstances.

I bet this experiment will be just the ticket for you.

Good luck!

Dinnerland said...

I agree, too busy with the snowflakes for the blog.
Sounds like you're onto a good plan with the 1 cup test!

Gen said...

Hey, I like the blog and the snowflakes!

I like your 1 cup plan too. Makes a whole lot of sense. I am trying to do the 5dpt now since I have to be on liquids tomorrow anyway for my fill.

BTW, 6-7 pounds in a month is actually GREAT! Hmmm, I think thats about how much I've lost in the month since my last fill too. Closer to 6 than 7 ;). My dr. insists anything over 4 lbs per month is great....

Good luck with the 1 cup! You can do it!

uh said...

I think you are on the right track. Use this time to try to get a handle on portions and diet. Good luck!

Amy W. said...

OMG I LOVE the snowflakes. Of course, at first I thought my eyes were going out...or my computer screen...but once I figured them out I think they are precious~!

THE DASH! said...

I love your snowflake blog page too! Don't change it, it's very cute xx
I like that you have identified a problem and are now being pro-active about it - the one cup rule. I think you might see some success here - but jeez I hope that reflux eases up, you poor girl.. it seems like it's been weeks that you've had it.

Anonymous said...

Two thumbs up on the new page, I loved it before you even asked. I'm anxiously waiting for my next fill/unfill. Today hasn't been awful but I'm trying to track my protein and calories and they just don't measure up. I made a cool egg souffle/quiche dish for dinner and can't wait to dig in!

Kinzie said...

I like the page and don't think you should change it, well at least not until after the holidays! Don't be like those people that leave their lights on the house until July. Just kidding!

Tina said...

i think you are smart-I dont really believe that that going to liquids is going to help as those liquids pass right on through your band. I think the one cup for meals is a great idea. I did take me a while to listen to my stomach and stop overfilling myself. The feeling is there but it is sooo subtle that it is easy to eat over the signals because our brains want the extra bite.

I have been having trouble with some acid reflux at night. This especially happens now if I eat in the evening. Leaving the food alone in the evening no matter how hungry I am seems to help. Is your reflux happening all day or just at certain times? are you sitting at an angle that restricts your stomach? a walk after lunch?? would something like that help??

I would say that if you can get a handle on your acid reflux it would be good to stick out the pouch. I have played the tight game a few times now and It does force me to behave myself. I learn a lot from these periods and lose weight. The worrisome part is to be careful that you do no harm in the process. Good luck with your fill and eating this week!!!

Oh by the way I like the trim and snow but not sure If i like the stuff at the top (seems kind of big).

Tina