That does bring up another more philosophical question regarding the sweet spot? What the hell is it really??? I know in our banded imaginations it a level of restriction that makes bluebirds sing and rainbows appear, but really so few of us every seem perfectly satisfied with our restriction. It's too tight or too loose. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but I'm thinking it must be way different for everyone and in some ways I feel it must involve a little compromise. I know some people must walk around with my level of restriction and consider themselves at the spot, they physically can't eat another bite, the pleasure of food is taken away from them and they like it. Not this girl, I'm feeling deprived I don't want to eat much, but I want to enjoy it. So my sweet spot is definitely different than someone who would want more hardcore restriction. So I think my compromise for my sweet spot is giving up a little restriction to enjoy my food and thus maybe having a little slower weight loss.
So what you guys think? Have you ever been at your sweet spot? Or are you still looking for it?


6 comments:
Hi Linda,
I am newly banded. I was banded on Nov 19th & I go for my first fill on Dec 28th. I just wanted to say that I agree with you. I would rather be able to enjoy what food I can eat & lose a bit more slowly, than to be so restricted we can't enjoy it at all! Anyways,
Happy Holiday's
Debi - I'm sure you can't wait for your first fill. Thanks for leaving a comment- I just figured out you had a blog. I'm going to go check it out.
Poor you, this whole sweet spot thing is confusing at the best of times and you seem to be having more trouble with your band restriction than some.. that really sucks.
I would classify the sweet spot (this is not what the books tell me but what I observed a while back when all was great) as being uninterested in food... I wasn't looking for food at all... I wouldn't be hungry until about oh, as late as 2pm sometimes.. I didn't have too much trouble eating most things though my band was horribly tight in the morning (which is prob why I wasn't hungry till later..) and when I did eat.. well, a half cup or around 200 mls was just about all I could get down. I think that was it.. Oh, but it did help with the scales that was for sure!
I hope you figure it out darl.. this band is a bitch sometimes.. and yet it can also be our best friend. xxxx Thinking of you
I also wonder about the sweet spot thing. I had one nurse tell me that really you can just get close then you have to work with it. Although it would be nice if we could hit that point of restriction where the band took care of everything, I don't know that it really happens that way. But then again, what do I know. I've only had one fill and still have only off and on restriction.
Okay, I really think I may be at my sweet spot. I have 7 ccs and its been about 1.5 weeks since my last fill. I agree with Cara - the best thing about it is not being hungry and not constantly looking for food. For example, it is 2 pm and all I have had today is one protein bar so far. I keep thinking, oh, I should get some lunch, but I am just not interested in eating. Not hungry.
I do think there is some compromise. I was feeling a little bit sad about how I used to make big meals and enjoy eating a whole plate - I am not really interested in cooking now, knowing that I will only have a few bites. I do think my enjoyment of food has been taken away - and that is a compromise, for sure.
I think I could do it with less fill, but it would be harder and slower to lose the weight. For you, getting a little taken out might be the way to go.
Having been at the tightest and not able to EAT much of anything, I'm sure the sweet spot is the point between being too tight and the ability to maintain healthy eating on our own...you know what I mean. I'm sure I'm going to be able to eat now since my unfill, but what I do with that, by making the right choices is up to me to help maintain weight loss. For the first few days I'm sure I'll go ape crazy eating things that might not be perfect choices, but I've been without real food for over a month and i've got some catching up to do until that urgency is gone. Gen is right, it will be harder and slower with this amount of restriction, but ultimately, I have to belly up with some self control too. Not eating until 2pm and then getting in 300-500 calories a day is putting my body in starvation mode and sooner or later there is gonna be a shut down and that won't do me any good either. I'm ready for some balance! You'll do fine on Monday and we're all hoping for the best for you.
Post a Comment