The Last 25

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Where are their bat wings?????





Last night my husband and I were watching a DVR shortened version of the Biggest Loser finale (don't you love DVR's? You can fast forward through the crappy stuff). During the at home people's weigh-ins we had this discussion:
Me: "Where are these women's bat wings? They lost a ton in no time and have no wings"
Him: "What the fuck are you talking about?"
Me: "The loose skin on their arms - that's what we call them bat wings" (then I shake my at him and maybe scar him for life)
Him: " oh, that's funny - must be the weights they use"

So seriously- do any of you do hard core upper body work with weights? It must help with the skin because Ashley the one finalist lost like 160 pounds in a very short time and had no where near the disgusting arms I have. And to fight the age of your skin factor, her Mom lost a ton too and her arms looked good. So I'm seriously thinking of using some hand weights to see if it helps.

What are your experiences with skin & muscle tone so far?

16 comments:

Nella said...

I used weights as soon as I could start excercising so I could tone as I lost weight!

Kristin said...

I dunno, I think weight training is important and will for sure improve arm aesthetics, but if you've got bat wings you've got bat wings. Maybe they just got lucky, because I don't know any woman who's lost a lot of weight who doesn't have 'em. Or maybe they were only shot from a certain angle so you couldn't tell?

Barbara said...

I do believe if your skin hasn't been too stretched out or if you are not too old you can tighten that up.. I have always heard it is those Tricep dips that do the magic and make it go away.. several years ago (5).. I had a personal trainer who whipped my ass into shape and boy did he work the arms.. I looked like a body builder.. so I do believe it can work

Theresa said...

@Barbara, what are the Tricep dips? Please share. I don't know, I have lost a ton of weight before and my arms looked pretty good, but I think each time I've lost and then gained might have done me in as far as the bat wing situation goes.
@Linda, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog yesterday!

SuperMegaAnna said...

I think there is some good spray tan airbrushing too... I think they camoflage the wings... I swear it is a scandal!

Sandy said...

I wondered the same thing watching BL. I do think it is the weights. They workout hours everyday and I'm sure the muscles pull it in some.

TJ said...

I think it is a combo of the weights, the amount of total exericse they do, and the fact that they have someone else making sure they get all the correct nutrients - including water. I was told the more water you drink and the more exericse you do (as well as genetics and age) the less lose skin you will have. I did notice a few bat wings, but nothing like you would expect. I think Anna is right too - the tanning probably helps tons.

Linda said...

Yea I think spray tan must come into play (&exercise).

Barbara please share the tricep dip. Did you use those kettle bells?

Tina said...

I don't watch it but I have friends who did weights and upper body strength training-Unless they gain huge muscles to fill up that skin they have bat-wings. I have them but after discussions with bat-wing endowed and bat-wing free friends we have decided that you can artfully move your arm and minimize their wingyness. I see mine more than most others can---even my students who watch me write on the white board every day with my wing flapping in the breeze can't really see them from the angle they are at...i can though when i log down :)

Tina

Tina said...

darn typo--look down not log.

Dinnerland said...

I think some people are more genetically 'blessed' than others-- and also the workouts are insane on BL. So: that's why you're seeing comparatively less bat wings on that population of 'losers.'
As for me, I am wondering if my stomach is going to be loose skin city when I get down lower-- we'll just have to see...
Keep on keeping on!!

Girl Bandit said...

Hmmmm.....weights most certainly help and genetics too....not sure what the answer is

THE DASH! said...

I need this too - I would love to tighten my arms. Nice pick up though that they didn't seem to have any batwings... lucky buggers.

Andrew said...

As a man, and we like to work our "Guns"....I can say It doesn't matter...The wings are still there no matter how hard you work them :-(

Butterfly/Amy said...

I noticed that with Ashley too but some of the at home women had them just not too bad. I think it must be all the upper body work they do that is helping.

Brooke said...

Yeah, I hate to burst the batwing blasting bubble but I work out with weights like a fiend and I can still be batman's new assistant, batwing girl.

I think those (freaks) people on Biggest Loser get thermage to tighten up their skin. Otherwise, how else can it be possible?