The Last 25

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mental Changes


Do we lose focus as we lose weight or do we simply start living? I've been pondering this for a few days because of some observations I've had lately.

I've noticed that a lot of bloggers who were banded about the same time as me blog a little less lately and when they do it's more life based as opposed to here's what I ate, here's what I've lost. I don't think it's because we take the band for granted or success for granted, but at least for me I am less nervous about it working - it does (for me). I'm now focused on what life with the band can give me; fun stuff like clothes and shopping and great stuff like self confidence, pride, being comfortable in social situations (the list could go on). In the beginning, I blogged as a lifeline. As a way to get feedback, to have accountability, to see other people doing it and being successful because I was so scared I had done all of that work (to get the band) for nothing.

In the beginning, I would have beaten myself up for the oatmeal cookie I just ate, but I know it's OK and while it will slow me down it won't make me a failure. I am 100% accountable for what goes into my mouth and what goes on in my head and those two things get along a little better lately. I did not make up an excuse why I NEEDED a cookie, I just ate it and that's maybe kind of normal!?!

Anyway, I'm not really sure about where I was originally going with this post, but I think it was just to say it's OK not to 100% hardcore focused like maybe 6 or 8 months ago, because I know I'll get to goal and if I'm happy at the pace I'm going that cookie's no big deal, but if I'm in a hurry I can log my food and exercise more. Either way is fine.

24 comments:

Lap Band Groupie said...

So true...excellent post!

Cindylew said...

I couldn't agree more.

Maria said...

I think that sounds like an excellent place to be :)

Barbara said...

That is a very healthy way to view this.. after all the band isn't going anywhere.. but I do like to still read from the peeps you have been banded for a longer time.. because losing weight has never really been the issue, its keeping it off.. I think we all fear relapse and if we know how to handle it, we are all the more preapared.. hugs to you Linda

Amanda Kiska said...

I agree that it really helps us newbies to hear from the old-bies! But I know I don't blog as much as I once did and I don't obsess about food anymore either.

Jacquie said...

So true Linda and great post!

Amaris said...

Great post, Linda, and just what I needed to read today. I'm less than a week pre-op and between blood tests, x-rays, diets, etc., this is the focus of my existence -- and I was beginning to wonder if it always would be. I'm willing to focus on it now (and for several months out, as I learn my way around my band), but I do want to get to the place where all of this (especially food) just doesn't matter so much. Thanks for letting me know what's ahead!

Amy said...

So totally agree. Once you get more used to it, it becomes a part of your life - kind of like it moves to the background instead of always being in the foreground. :)

Theresa said...

Yes, totally what I needed to hear today too! You rock.

kagead said...

This is a great post and as much as I'm looking to have the same success you have enjoyed, I'm also looking to get in the same mindset you have.

This one has been bookmarked!

Kinzie said...

I too agree. I have not put my finger on this either but think you describe it very well. It is as if we settle into life and don't "need" to blog as much. Honestly, I agree that it is probably healthy progression. Thanks for the post!

Kerri said...

Great post! Thank you!!!

Tina said...

I felt like I was waiting in the beginning. Waiting for the band to work, the diet to work and weightloss to work etc. I think that is why the focus was on what I did 'with' the band. As you feel success it shifts to living. A large part of that 'living' is in a wide new active world. It only makes sense that both the time you spend and the topic will change.

Sam said...

I like to think that I too will be able to get to that place were I can think like that.

At the moment I'm still at the wondering if this will REALLY work and still need to justify all the non-healthy food that I eat stage. But I am working on it and your post gives me great hope.

Thanks :)

Dinnerland said...

Yep, just the natural history of adjusting to life with the band-- first it is all you think and talk about, then you begin to trust the process and it becomes less and less pressing to speak about it constantly.
That said: I am committed to continuing the blogging, it is a way to stay accountable and 'in the game.'

Angie Cummings said...

I feel like we're in a similar place, and I imagine I'm one of those bloggers you mentioned. It's nice just living your life with the band... I hung out with a guy last night and brought cookies. Ate some. Survived. It's comforting!

Unknown said...

Good points! Along the way... it hits that you are not on a diet but a life change. Good blog post. : )

Jen said...

Wonderful post, thanks!!

Pamela E. Williams said...

Great post Linda. I sometimes worry about the band and if I will be successful. I am 11 days away from my surgery and the need to get all the info I can has me all over the place. I have a friend who has been uber successful with the band and yet another friend who just got the band and hasn't lost anymore than a person without it.

What I love is the support system here.

Nella said...

Another great post and so freakin well said! You rock baby!

Kristin said...

I feel the same way, Linda. Well said.

Jen said...

Yes - of course! And you are a rock star to think of it. I feel like I'm just living it and working it and I'm not scared of much about my band anymore. I take the highs with the lows and best of all, I know that when I have a worry or a question I have this amazing support system in place to help out. We are so lucky to have found each other.

Michelle said...

It really helps us newbies to hear from the old bandsters, great post!

Bonnie said...

As someone newly banded I can totally relate to your saying that you used blogs as a lifeline. I have gotten so much good information and it's so great knowing I can depend on everyone to answer questions and get me through the hard times on this journey. It is good to know that a year from now I could be in the great spot you are in.