The Last 25

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Drinking with meals


I have been pretty good at not drinking with meals since surgery. At home it's easy because I literally don't keep a drink at the table, I have noticed when I'm out in a restaurant I'm more prone to accidentally take a sip. I have been wondering lately if I should be waiting longer after meals to drink. My Dr. says we can drink right up to eating and start again a half an hour after the meal. I hear a lot of people saying that they aren't supposed to drink for an hour after meals – maybe that helps with staying full longer? I've been thinking of going longer without drinks after meals because right now my biggest restriction complaint is that I get hungry sooner than I should. Of course I feel like I struggle to get all my fluids in as it is, so will it be helpful to cut into my drinking time (that sounds like I have a drinking problem)? So many questions…
How have you all been doing with this? Any thoughts, insights would be appreciated.
Happy banding day Coloradomom!! I may be off by a day – but hopefully all goes well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a hoot, drinking problem! No help from me, most of my food is still liquid right now, but I'll be watching to see what others say!

Amy W. said...

My docs rule is the same as yours. I have often wondered if waiting longer would make a difference. If I am eating something really solid, drinking right after makes things BAD!

Brooke said...

My doc said an hour after eating. If you're thirsty they advise you to chew/suck on an ice cube. It has helped me in one instance to use that trick on a hot day.

It does make sense in terms of fullness- but I'm like Kathi, only 4 weeks out so I'm a relative newbie.

Tina said...

I have always gone for the 1/2 hour after eating (surgeons advice) but now that I am tight I can tell when my food has gone through and comfortably drink. Sometimes this take more than 1/2 and hour! It was a full hour for my lunch to go through today.

Tina

Linda said...

Tina- that's interesting that you can feel your food move through the band.I'm not that tight yet. Hopefully I will be able to tell that one day too and it will make it easier.

Lady Lap Band said...

Hey Linda! How many cc's do you have right now???? Hey do you find that when you get fills they are great at first and then kind of go away??? Someone told me its bc you loose fat and that kind of messes with the placement of the band?? Have you found any truth to that???

www.ladylapband.com

Linda said...

Breanne- I have 8.5 cc's(a lot I know). My fill nurse actually told me that it's true about loosening up because you lose fat around your stomach. That's why we have to continue to get fills.