So I'm back from my trip to New York and I missed you guys. I was able to keep up on most people's blogs on my blackberry – but it's a pain to comment on it. We had our laptop on the trip, but I didn't want to risk having someone walk up on me while on my LB sites since I'm keeping surgery on the DL from hubby's family. Since I have a few things to write about I thought I would try to organize my thoughts rather than do my normal Faulkner-esque writing. I am truly the queen of rambling posts.
The reveal:
Well I obviously got some reaction from the family since it had been over a year since most had seen me and I'm over 70 pounds lighter. DH's Mom was really surprised and went on a bit, but in a nice way. The funny thing some people didn't say anything which you can take as they didn't notice of they were trying to be polite. I'm going to opt for the later because while they are a pretty loud, boisterous family they know I am pretty quiet and reserved. Luckily, no one really asked what I was doing – so I didn't have to go there.
The Damage:
I ate fairly normally during the trip (zone bar for breakfast, light lunch), but dinners were big(DH and I cooked) and wine filled. This is definitely the most I've had to drink since last year and the wine definitely loosened me up. I had dessert 2 nights and kind of let myself go, but allowed the band to guide me. I was pretty worried that the food combined with my TOM and no scale would be disaster. I told myself that if I was around 210 it would be OK – that's just a few pounds up. So when I got on the scale this morning it was 207.6 – a little down from last week! I love this thing! I'm so encouraged that even when I give myself permission to go "off the reservation" – I'm not gaining.
The Weird:
I mentioned in my last post that one reason that I wanted to keep it from my In-laws is that my sister-in-law's MIL (kind of confusing – is it clearer to say my sister-in-law's husband's mother!?!) had gotten the band a few years ago and gone a little crazy. I had met her maybe 6 years ago at their wedding and she was a pretty big woman. I know she must have lost a good amount of weight after the band because I remember hearing a story where she took jeans from my SIL (who was maybe a 12/14 at the time). So she came around on Sunday and guess what? She's fat! I am not saying this in a judgmental way and I'm 100% sure she's smaller than pre-band, but she's at least 250 pounds. This really got me down for awhile. I was sitting in the kitchen with her and I wanted to scream WHAT HAPPENED!! I have the same thing as you! I know it works - why did you give up??? I didn't though; I kept my secret and internally stewed and worried that it would be me in 3 years. That's really what upset me, the thought that I would fail at this ultimately, like everything else – she was just a flesh and blood reminder.
Then I gave myself a pep talk, I thought about all the things I'd done that she probably didn't do; I did tons of research, I get my fills, I stay in touch with my Dr., I have a support system(at home and here), and I stay accountable here and see all of you succeeding – just like me. I was not looking in a mirror of my future, just at someone who was still struggling. I have control of my mirror(except for wrinkles and sagging stuff).
I am still working on my March goal of getting under 200 – after such a good outcome this weekend I feel like I'm going to make it. How's everyone else doing?


9 comments:
I'm glad to hear you lost while visiting! That's awesome.
That's sad to hear about the SIL's MIL. I get worried about that sort of thing (gaining the weight back) sometimes too. But, like you said, we have a lot of things going for us that she may not have had.
Wow, great job on the weight loss! I cannot wait until I am where you are - I would love to have some restriction so I can enjoy a normal meal like you seem to be doing! Awesome!
Congrats on the oxymoron (vacation weightloss).
I remember reading on LBT about how the percentage rate of success according to the surgeons seems low compared to the people who post. Well duh, the people who fail aren't posting on LBT, reading it or blogging about it. Successful people are.
Blogging keeps us in it. For some it's support groups, a food journal, or having a support person. As long as we have something to keep our heads in the game, and get the proper band adjustments, we'll be great!
Great job on the loss Linda! Check my blog - I nominated you for a Sunshine Award :)
Amazing! To lose weight on vacation is fantastic!
awesome job on your vacation-Stories about band failures are scary--but everyone is different and i agree if we stay on top of things we can both stay where we want in this weight thing.
I am still hanging between 200 and 197-I am working on increasing my protein and decreasing the carbs semi-successfully :)
You know what Linda. I honestly think that one of the reasons you will never gain the weight back is because you are committed to it. There are a lot of people that get the band and dont follow thru. I don't believe you are one of these.
Sounds like you had fun in NY. Glad youre back sunshine. Missed you xxx
Congrats on getting through your vacation with the in-laws without any issues AND on your weight-loss! Great job!!
I agree with Cara. Weren't you just dying to ask SIL's MIL about her experience? I would have been so curious.
I agree that it's weird when people don't say anything. I asked someone about that, and he said that he didn't know whether commenting on my weight was OK to do or not, even if it was a compliment. (He didn't want to imply anything about how I looked before.)
Not sure where in NY you were, but if you were in NYC, we would have loved to have you at the Bandster Brunch! Maybe another time. :)
Post a Comment